Hello! My name is Tim Shiels and this year I am Michael Woodhouse's Youth MP. This page is intended to let you get to know a little bit about me.
- I am currently a Year 13 student at John McGlashan College in Dunedin.
- I am a member of the Dunedin City Council's Youth Action Committee. YAC is a 'middle-man' between the Council and Young People and we help to fund and organise events; promote youth-friendly council policy; and encourage the Council to take a more active role in engaging Youth.
- I am currently privileged to be secretary of YouthFund Dunedin, a community group the facilitates funding of young people for their projects and events.
- From 2009-2010, I was the host of Volunteering Otago's Young Volunteer Hour on local community access radio.
- I am a keen advocate for the social and economic importance of protection of our natural environment, and as such have been the leader of McGlashan's environmental group for 3 years, and was selected as a delegate at the 2011 Sir Peter Blake Trust Youth Enviroleaders Forum.
- I am a strong supporter of organ donation reform within New Zealand, following the death of my sister whilst on an organ donation waiting list in June 2012.
- In the past I have been the Breast Cancer Foundation's Dunedin North Area Coordinator, a volunteer for the Red Cross, Presbyterian Support Otago and the Otago Community Hospice, and the team captain for McGlashan's team at the 2013 Relay for Life